The Wall Street Journal envisions this:
That's according to their latest article How Yankee Fans Are Different From Mets Fans.
Some of the stats:
- Men who follow the Mets are slightly more likely to have stopped their education during or just after high school (30% versus 25%)
- Yankees fans are more likely to earn $100,000 a year or more
- Male Mets fans were 43% more likely than Yankees fans to drink beer
- Mets fans owned more guns (11% versus 5%)
- Mets fans worry less than Yankees fans (15% to 8%)
- Mets men have better support systems: they rated higher for marriage (51%) and pets (47%)
My poor Mets - always seen as the lovable losers of NY sports. Now the Wall Street Journal is trying to paint us Mets fans with the same brush - as if everyone should feel sorry for us. Excuse me, but the last I heard, there was nothing wrong with being a blue-collar, hard-working, married man who likes to drink beer and hang out with his best friend Fido.
And maybe, just maybe, the make-up of the typical Mets fan tells the real NY story - work hard, have fun, enjoy life, and if you win a few games along the way, good for you.
So, to all my fellow Mets fans out there - this one's for you!
And PS: my dearest Ish - you can be whatever you want to be when you grow up. As long as you're happy and you make enough money to put me in a nice retirement home. Muah!