Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Wayback Wednesday - Honeymoon Memories

Joining my girls at The Adventures of Goober Grape and Monkey Man, The Life of a Sippy Cup Mom and Our Life With Jake for another edition of Wayback Wednesday. This week's theme: honeymoon memories.

Ah memories, like the corners of my mind...

Matt and I wanted to go somewhere on our honeymoon that neither of us had been before. Someplace new to explore. We're not lay on the beach and relax type of people - we want to hit the ground running and go go go. We want to learn something new, see pretty things and eat really good food. So Italy was the perfect spot for us. Being Italian myself, I figured I would blend right in...except for the fact that I look like the Polish side of my family.

Our first stop on our week-long tour was Rome, where we stayed in the lovely Starhotel Michelangelo. The room was beautiful. And there was a continental breakfast every morning which included about 10 different types of breads/pastries and Nutella. Yes, we were expected to eat Nutella every day. Enough said.
The view from our hotel was none other than St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican. Not too shabby.
I took about 500 pictures of the ceilings at the Vatican. I was very dizzy, but very impressed. The level of detail in each painting is amazing. And just knowing how incredibly old they are - just makes you appreciate it all the more.
No trip to Rome would be complete without a trip to the Colosseum. It was sort of weird - we were in the middle of a bustling city and yet here is this relic of history that almost seems out of place with the modern amenities all around it.
We walked about 10 miles each day - there was so much to explore. But we only had 3 days, so we made sure to hit the hot spots - like the Trevi Fountain.
And, as they say, "When in Rome" - we ate like the Romans do!
The next stop on our journey was Florence. They were a little strict about what you could take pictures of, so unfortunately I don't have a ton of photos from this leg of the trip. In the background of this photo here is a replica of the Statue of David. The real one is under heavy guard - we saw it, but were forbidden to photograph it.
We did lots of walking in Florence too. Even stumbled across my very own restaurant! Note the skinniness - I don't even know where those pants are. Sigh...
But I digress. We only had 2 days in Florence before we boarded the train for Venice - my favorite part of the trip!
This is the taxi stand outside of our hotel. On the water. Taxis - on the water. Seriously, you hear about it, but when you see it, it's mind-blowing!
We spent 2 days walking around (did I mention how much walking we did!) and soaking up as much as we could. One of our favorite parts of town was San Marco Square. We ate seafood risotto there both nights - if we stayed longer we would have eaten even more seafood risotto!
The last part of our trip was a short boat ride to the island of Murano. We watched a master craftsman work his art - creating the most gaudy glass creations you have ever seen (gaudy that sells for thousands of dollars!).
Before we knew it, our week in Italy was over. We took a water taxi from Venice to the airport and said "Ciao Italia - we'll be back!"
Want to join in on Wayback Wednesday? Check out the blogs of the ladies hosting it - you can link up there!

Ciao Bellas!!

12 comments:

Steph said...

Wow, wow, wow! Absolutely gorgeous pics! So jealous. You'll have to post more another day :)

Kayla said...

wow so pretty. we did not get a honey moon so maybe i will get to do the next wayback wednesday

HarmSkills said...

Im 1/2 polish and 1/2 italian. mom is polish, dad is italian. ANd I love Rome!

Sippy Cup Mom said...

I am SO jealous! What a fabulous experience! I love your pictures. The history must have been fantastic!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! Rome is on our list of places to go in our lifetime.

Katie said...

WOW! what a lucky duck! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to visit Italy some day! I have never been out of the states except once to Canada! I am so lame! You are so worldly! I bow to you!

Victoria said...

Wow what a great honeymoon! One of my favorite parts of mine was eating and eating now hay the wedding stress was off lol and the food in Italy sounds amazing!

Belle's Butterfly said...

I am incredibly jealous that you went to Italy. I've always wanted to go. It is one of my dream vacations. You look like you had a wonderful honeymoon!

Loukia said...

What awesome pictures... and that pizza... mmm... now I'm craving... ;)

jenny said...

wow! I'm now hungry AND dying to visit Rome. Need to move that higher on my bucket list. Awesome pics!

Natalie said...

Oh, I am soooo jealous!! What an incredible honeymoon! This is at the top of my bucket list...to explore all of Italy (eat my way through it!)...

thanks so much for linking up!

Unknown said...

Wow. I am officially jealous of your honeymoon! Gorgeous!